PlayFest 2012 Seeking Submissions
WHAT WE WANT
PlayFest! The Harriett Lake Festival of New Plays (Fall 2012) is seeking new full-length plays or musicals based on or inspired by works of classic literature or historic events, famous persons, or advances in science. These events, persons, or advances can be from any age in history, including the present. We prefer (but are not limited to) plays that require six actors or less, and have an interest in one-person shows. However, even in the case of one-person shows, we are not looking for history lectures, or museum piece adaptations that are faithful to a fault, but rather dynamic new theatrical versions of classic stories that speak to the contemporary mindset.
In musical submissions, we are interested in musicals based on or inspired by the same criteria as mentioned above.
Click here for a downloadable PDF of PlayFest 2012 submission guidelines.
In order to qualify for PlayFest a play must:
- NOT have received more than two professional AEA productions
- NOT have received a Broadway or Off-Broadway production
- NOT have received Orlando production in current form
- NOT be published for general distribution with the rights held by the Publisher
We will select seven new works to be presented as readings. One or more may go on to be developed in a workshop or full production. Playwrights will receive a stipend, travel and housing expenses. Some plays may go on to be fully produced as part of a subsequent Orlando Shakespeare Theater season, or produced at the University of Central Florida as part of our partnership with UCF.
At this time we are not looking for full scripts. We are asking for a simpler initial submission.
Submissions must include:
- Cover letter
- A one-page synopsis
- Ten pages of dialogue from the play
- A character breakdown (with potential doubling)
- Your mailing address, email address and direct phone number on the cover letter
- Musicals should include all of the above and the most recent Demo CD of the show
- Please do not send full scripts until requested to do so.
Mail submissions via regular mail to:
Patrick Flick, Associate Artistic Director – or – Mark Routhier, Assoc. Director of New Play Development
PlayFest – The Harriett Lake Festival of New Plays
Orlando Shakespeare Theater
812 East Rollins St. Suite 100
Orlando, FL 32803
Email submissions will not be accepted.
Initial submission deadline for PlayFest 2012 is March 15, 2012.
If you wish to be notified of receipt of your submission, please include a SAS POSTCARD with the name of your play written on it. Otherwise you will only hear from us if we would like to see a full script.